[Mailman-Users] Handling Munged From Addresses

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 27 13:56:23 EST 2020

On 2/27/20 10:27 AM, Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Users wrote:

> Sorry, I meant this:
>
> From: Jane Doe (jane.doe#domain.tld) via Listname <listname at example.com>

Both of those still have the domain which is also considered problematic

We could consider

From: Jane Doe (jane.doe at domain dot tld) via Listname
<listname at example.com>

for Mailman 3, but that seems unduly kludgy. There won't be any change
in Mailman 2.1 which is only waiting for i18n updates for the final
2.1.30 release which will be the last release from the GNU Mailman project.

The point is that we (apparently not RedHat's backport, but upstream)
already include the sender's display name and we try very hard to ensure
that compliant MUAs produce the same result for 'reply', 'reply-all' and
'reply-list' whether or not the From: is munged. I think that should be
sufficient.