[Mailman-Users] acceptable_aliases does not seem to work (or more likely I don't understand) V2.1.23

stinga stinga at wolf-rock.com
Sat Feb 1 04:58:14 EST 2020

On 01/02/2020 02:26, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 1/30/20 7:29 PM, stinga wrote:
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I can't seem to get acceptable_aliases to work...
>>

>> (domain names changed to protect the innocent, but all match up)
>>
>> comm at lists.lf.me = List email address
>> info at lf.me = Google group (google group has one email address which
>> is comm at lists.lf.me
>> info at lf.me is a member of the mailman list and is set for nomail
>>
>> User another at domain.com sends email to info at lf.me
>>
>> List receives email and bounces with:
>>
>>      List:    comm at lists.lf.me
>>      From:    another at domain.com
>>      Subject: Testing
>>      Reason:  Post by non-member to a members-only list
>>
>> The above is correct as user another at domain.com is not a member of
>> the mailman list
>

> And that is the entire issue. acceptable_aliases and
> require_explicit_destination have nothing to do with this.

Yeah, that dawned on me shortly after sending. :-)

>> In the email header there is
>> To: <info at lf.me>
>>
>> I have in acceptable_aliases (tried various things)
>> info at lf.me
>> "info at lf.me"
>> .*info at lf.me.*
>>
>> and require_explicit_destination is yes
>>
>> I believe that should allow email sent to info at lf.me to be accepted
>> by the list, maybe I am reading this all wrong?
>

> All that does is avoid the message's being held for "implicit
> destination" it doesn't bypass other checks.

Yeah, that dawned on me soon after hitting send, I have removed all of
the stuff in the setup

>> If I am doing this wrong how do I get a google email to send to
>> mailman and be accepted?
>
> There are a few of choices.
>
> You can set Privacy options... -> Sender filters ->
> generic_nonmember_action to Accept in order to accept posts from any
> nonmember, but you may not want that.
No don't want that

> You can ensure that everyone sending mail to info at lf.me is a member of
> the comm at lists.lf.me list.
Can't do this really

> You can make use of the fact that mailman considers a post to be from
> a member if any of the From:, Reply-To: Sender: or envelope sender
> addresses is a list member. Posts from google groups generally have no
> Sender: header, and the envelope sender is something like
> 'info+bncbcn2p7unuujrbfxhspsakgqe7gew6fa at googlegroups.com' where the
> 'bncbcn2p7unuujrbfxhspsakgqe7gew6fa' may not be constant. However,
> messages from Google Groups have a

I don't have googlegroup in the email anywhere.
And the Reply-To: is the original sender in my example: another at domain.com

> header. If that address is a member of your list, it should be OK. You
> say info at lf.me is a member of your list. Is that an address you
> control which forwards to the google group?. If so, you want to make
> groupname at googlegroups.com a member of your list set to nomail. If in
> fact by info at lf.me you mean the actual groupname at googlegroups.com
> address, then I don't know what the problem is.

email, so not forwarded to the group but is the email you - hmm..
thinking.....

The only google strings are:

me at shark:~$ grep -i google blobby
  helo=mail-wr1-f70.google.com;
  d=google.com; s=arc-20160816;
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com;
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
  spf=neutral (google.com: 83.223.99.6 is neither permitted nor denied
by best
  by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id n16si5340484wrp.218.2020.01.30.14.03.44
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 83.223.99.6 is neither permitted nor
denied

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga at wolf-rock.com         o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\