[Mailman-Users] Mailman 3 Ready?

Allan Hansen hansen at rc.org
Sun Nov 24 20:11:19 EST 2019

Dear all happy campers,

I need to upgrade from Mailman 2.1 - my hardware needs upgrading (badly) and the address mangling is having my subscribers rip their hair out. I need to get this done before they start on my already thinning hair!

I’m ready and eager to move on to MM3 on a Linux box. First I tried to install it myself. After all, I had installed MM2 and it worked fine until AOL and Yahoo messed it up,  My computer (an iMac) presents with a black screen on startup and is apt to die at any moment. I ran into trouble some 4/5 through the installation - I simply got lost in jingo. I then hired a pro, but he had real-life issues that kept him distracted and he also had trouble with the installation. I switched to a second pro, a friend, who has tried valiantly for a few months (on and off) but has basically given up now. This is his latest comment on his efforts after I (gently) nagged him:

*************************************
Hi Allan,

I have looked into it a few times now and I keep running into the same blocks. I don't see much moving either. I was hoping someone (Mailman developing community) would come up with a better working solution.

My concern is that the Mailman3 is not ready. There are too many dead ends and undocumented stuff. For Mailman2 I have a working integration with iRedMail, that does not seem to work with 3.

So far I don't have anyone who knows how to make Mailman3 work integrated with iRedMail (or similar). Things I have tried and documented are not a conclusive working installation.

So, is MM3 ready for the big screen? If so, is there some way/how/where/when that my friend can get help helping me with the installation other than the published installation docs, which did not work for us?

I have looked for both free and commercial alternatives to MM, but, frankly, I don’t think that there is anything that comes close to what we have. One of my lists started out on LISTSERV many decades ago. I moved it to Appls’s list server and then I moved it to MM after Apple starting with OS/X. Apparently LISTSERV is still around and is being updated, but I’m not keen on going back there, and it’s very expensive too boot.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Yours,

Allan Hansen