[Mailman-Users] Upgrading mm 2.1.26 on Ubuntu 18.04 to 2.1.29

Fabian A. Santiago fsantiago at gjb-online.com
Thu May 23 09:04:38 EDT 2019

On 5/22/19 11:42 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Did you look at <https://wiki.list.org/x/17891606>?
>
> What was the exact complaint. It's probably easy to fix.

Thank you Mark for this reference. I did not look at it. I also didn't
record the error. i needed this server / list back up asap so i
snapshot'ed the server 1st just in case and when i encountered the
issue(s), i only had limited time to resolve or restore so i didn't
spend too much time troubleshooting it. but i will try this as
referenced in your link when i can afford more possible downtime and if
the error reappears i will capture it.

> This is a group mismatch in the /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman wrapper.
> See <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030645> for more on group mismatch.
>
> This may be an issue with the ppa which is maintained by @jimpop who
> reads this list and may chime in.
>
> However, Postfix is running the wrapper as group 'list' because 'list'
> is the owner of Mailman's data/aliases.db file. You can change this by
> `chown daemon data/aliases.db` but you need to ensure that that file is
> still group 'list' and group writable for Mailman to be able to update
> it as lists are added/deleted.

Thanks for this heads up. i should also mention adding the ppa to my apt
sources fails on gpg signing key import. i had to do it manually,
searching for the key on ubuntu's keyserver.

thanks for the help.

--

Fabian S.