[Mailman-Users] Upgrading mm 2.1.26 on Ubuntu 18.04 to 2.1.29

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed May 22 11:42:27 EDT 2019

On 5/21/19 5:20 PM, Fabian Aldo Santiago wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have my postfix mail server running mm 2.1.26 installed via apt on Ubuntu 18.04. I wish to upgrade to 2.1.29 but it’s not in the official repos.
>
> I tried installing from source, after first running mailman-config to gather the configure parameters (thanks Lindsay!). It installed no sweat BUT failed to start afterwards. It kept complaining of a pid file being unreadable.

Did you look at <https://wiki.list.org/x/17891606>?

What was the exact complaint. It's probably easy to fix.

> So I started over (restored snapshot) and then tried adding a ppa apt source which contains 2.1.29:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~mailman-administrivia/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>
> Installed with an IO error over a lock file purported to be from one of my lists but otherwise started ok. But sending an email produced an error complaining:
>
> The mail system
>
> <list at localhost>: Command died with status 2: "/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
>  post list". Command output: Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the
>  mail wrapper script to be executed as group "daemon", but the system's mail
>  server executed the mail script as group "list". Try tweaking the mail
>  server to run the script as group "daemon", or re-run configure, providing
>  the command line option `--with-mail-gid=list'.

This is a group mismatch in the /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman wrapper.
See <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030645> for more on group mismatch.

This may be an issue with the ppa which is maintained by @jimpop who
reads this list and may chime in.

However, Postfix is running the wrapper as group 'list' because 'list'
is the owner of Mailman's data/aliases.db file. You can change this by
`chown daemon data/aliases.db` but you need to ensure that that file is
still group 'list' and group writable for Mailman to be able to update
it as lists are added/deleted.