[Mailman-Users] bounce mail transfer

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 4 20:37:42 EDT 2019

On 6/4/19 4:55 PM, Masaharu Kawada wrote:

> Are there any ways to have a bounce mail transferred to a specific user(
> ex:test at domain.com) instead of the mail sender?
>
> I haven't been able to find any ways within Mailman configuration, but I
> just wonder if we can make it by using any method of postfix side.

Yes, you do it in Postfix with aliases.

> The "man postfix" says:
> =====
> -notify_classes (resource, software)
>
>               The list of error classes that are reported to the postmaster.
>
> -2bounce_notice_recipient (postmaster)
>
>               The recipient of undeliverable mail that cannot be returned
> to the sender.
>
> -bounce_notice_recipient (postmaster)
>
>               The recipient of postmaster notifications with the message
> headers of mail that Postfix did not deliver and of SMTP conversation
> transcripts of mail that Postfix did not receive.
> =====
>
> So it looks like a bounce mail can be transferred as a copy to a specific
> user besides postmaster this way.
>
> notify_classes = resource, software, bounce  <---Add 'bounce' to the
> parameter here.
>
> 2bounce_notice_recipient = test at domain.com   <---Specify the email address
> where you want a bounce mail to be returned.
> bounce_notice_recipient = test at domain.com    <---Specify the email address
> where you want a bounce mail to be returned.

You don't want this because even if you can make it work, it will affect
all bounced mail.

> The scenario is as follows:
> 1.A sender sends an email to a mailing list.
> 2.The mailing list has a user that does not exist anymore.
> 3.A bounce mail is set to return to the sender.
> 4.The bounce mail is sent to one specific user besides the sender.
>
> Is this the right way? If I am missing anything to make it work, I would
> like you to point me to the right way.

There are things you can do. First of all bounces are returned to the
listname-bounces address to enable automatic bounce processing to
disable delivery and ultimately remove bouncing users. What are you
trying to accomplish by sending them also to another address?

If all you want to do is see them, beginning in Mailman 2.1.19, there is
a bounce_notify_owner_on_bounce_increment setting in bounce processing
to send them to the list owner. See
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1382150>.

If this isn't satisfactory, you can look at your Mailman aliases for
Postfix which are probably in Mailman's data/aliases and data/aliases.db
files. what you need to do is make a second set, say alias_overrides and
alias_overrides.db.

In aliases you will see the entire set of list aliases for all lists. In
particular, for the list of interest there will be a line like

LISTNAME-bounces:   "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman bounces LISTNAME"

copy that one line exactly to alias_overrides and then add a second line
beginning with whitespace with the second address like:

    test at domain.com

Then run

postalias alias_overrides

to create alias_overrides.db and if necessary change tehe ownership of
alias_overrides.db to match that of Mailman's aliases.db and finally, add

hash:/path/to/alias_overrides

to Postfix alias_maps ahead of the entry for Mailman's aliases.

Do it this way because Mailman will periodically update its aliases, at
least if you are using Mailman's Postfix integration.

Note: this all assumes you are using aliases to deliver from Postfix to
Mailman.