[Mailman-Users] bounce mail transfer

Masaharu Kawada mkawada at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 19:55:30 EDT 2019

Dear list,

Are there any ways to have a bounce mail transferred to a specific user(
ex:test at domain.com) instead of the mail sender?

I haven't been able to find any ways within Mailman configuration, but I
just wonder if we can make it by using any method of postfix side.

The "man postfix" says:
=====
-notify_classes (resource, software)

              The list of error classes that are reported to the postmaster.

-2bounce_notice_recipient (postmaster)

              The recipient of undeliverable mail that cannot be returned
to the sender.

-bounce_notice_recipient (postmaster)

              The recipient of postmaster notifications with the message
headers of mail that Postfix did not deliver and of SMTP conversation
transcripts of mail that Postfix did not receive.
=====

So it looks like a bounce mail can be transferred as a copy to a specific
user besides postmaster this way.

notify_classes = resource, software, bounce  <---Add 'bounce' to the
parameter here.

2bounce_notice_recipient = test at domain.com   <---Specify the email address
where you want a bounce mail to be returned.
bounce_notice_recipient = test at domain.com    <---Specify the email address
where you want a bounce mail to be returned.

The scenario is as follows:
1.A sender sends an email to a mailing list.
2.The mailing list has a user that does not exist anymore.
3.A bounce mail is set to return to the sender.
4.The bounce mail is sent to one specific user besides the sender.

Is this the right way? If I am missing anything to make it work, I would
like you to point me to the right way.

Sincerely,
Masaharu Kawada