[Mailman-Users] Message not removeable

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 4 16:05:32 EDT 2019

On 6/4/19 3:30 AM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> In one of the mailinglists came a message what's to big. I've changed
> max_message_size but it was not possible to send the message. Now I want
> to remove the message, but that's also not possible, it still is there
> and the list-owner gets messages about it.

How did you try to accept the message, and what happened?

How are you trying to remove the message, and what happens?

Is there anything relevant in Mailman's error log?

> How can I remove this message, or all messages (it's the only one what
> waits on moderation).

The moderator requests are in the file lists/LISTNAME/request.pck and
the held message itself is in the file data/heldmsg-LISTNAME-nnn.pck.
Both lists/ and data/ are in Mailman's file hierarchy.

There is a script at <https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/list_requests>
(mirrored at <https://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/list_requests>)
which can list and optionally remove requests. It may work.

If you are sure the one held message is the only moderator request for
this list, you can just remove the lists/LISTNAME/request.pck file, and
Mailman will recreate it when needed. If you do that, you should also
remove the data/heldmsg-LISTNAME-nnn.pck file containing the message.