[Mailman-Users] question about email automation

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Jun 1 12:57:34 EDT 2019

On 5/30/19 8:04 AM, Fabian A. Santiago wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> i run a mailing list on mm 2.x. periodically i send out an event
> opening email to the list. this is typically followed by a conclusion
> email at the end of a specific period.

How specific is the period?  Is the end known at the start, i.e. 3
months, or is it dependent on when a project completes?

> in the interim period i would like to send out reminders of the event
> to the list but would like to automate this task.  i want the reminders
> to be triggered by my opening email and end with my conclusion email.

I don't know if it really matters, but please clarify if you're talking
about one list that multiple events are discussed on or if it's a
different list per event.

> has anyone done this and how?

I have not.

I think one list for multiple events would be simpler from an automation
point of view.  I say this because I'd subscribe a utility account that
would receive copies of all messages and be able to parse them for
specific keywords (event <bla> starts <date>, etc.).

I would likely have this script set up (Unix) at jobs (vs cron) as I
think programmatically scheduling them might be easier.  The at job can
send the emails (typical script sending email) at the specified times.

If the duration of the project is known ahead of time, you can
pre-schedule multiple at jobs and be done with it.

If the duration of the project is not known ahead of time, I think you
will need to have each reminder iteration schedule the next at job.  You
will also need to have the utility account be a bit smarter and look for
the end of job / event / project announcements.  -  In this case, I'd
likely enhance the at job to look for a (flag) file or contents to
determine if it should send the reminder or not.  That way, you can
finish a job / even / project and make sure that there's not
accidentally spurious reminders that get sent or worry about cleaning
them up by simply removing the (flag) file or changing it's contents.

I know that it's crude.  But it will get the job done.

> i've looked at ifttt and zapier but wasn't sure. thanks.

I'm not familiar with them.  Sorry.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die