[Mailman-Users] Questions About Uncaught Bounce Notifications

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 17 22:36:29 EDT 2019

On 7/17/19 5:50 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

> Here is a sample of one semi-regular bounce I get from a list I manage
> (I haved X'ed out the personal information included in the bounce). I
> suspect that one issue is that this is a bounce message, not a server
> refusing (thus they are probably back-scattering), and the bounce
> doesn't give the address that the message was sent to (though it is in
> the Delivered-To: header of the message that bounced that I trimmed).
>
> Also, being a 'I think your a spammer' as opposed to 'That address isn't
> valid' message says I am not sure one really wants to count it as a bounce.

Yes, that is tricky, but assuming we do, I have some questions.

> Subject: failure notice

These are Mailman generated Message-IDs indicating the message is some
kind of Mailman generated notice and not a list post. Are they all like
that or are some of them list posts?

> Hi. This is the bounce program. I'm afraid I've been instructed to return
> your message. It was refused by the recipient's junk mail controls.
>
> To reach XXXXXXXXXXX, please telephone +1 888 XXXXXXX.
>
> --- Below this line is a copy of the message.

I could recognize this in simplematch
<https://gitlab.com/warsaw/flufl.bounce/blob/master/flufl/bounce/_detectors/simplematch.py>
with a start regexp of

^.*This is the bounce program. I'm afraid I've been instructed

and an address regexp of

^Delivered-To:\s*(?P<addr>[^\s@]+@[^\s@]+)\s*$')