[Mailman-Users] Questions About Uncaught Bounce Notifications

Wed Jul 17 20:50:48 EDT 2019

On 7/17/19 8:18 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 7/17/19 4:23 PM, David Andrews wrote:
>> I run an installation that has over 300 lists.  Normally, for years, I
>> received around 300 uncaught bounce notifications a day.  In the past
>> couple of months, it has dramatically increased to 3000 to 4000 a day.
>> Some questions:  what causes them? Can they be reduced? Do they hurt
>> anything? Toes the increase mean a problem somewhere else?
>
> Most likely (you can tell by looking at them) they are spam sent to the
> listname-bounces address. They might also be out of office type
> to list mail erroneously sent to the envelope sender.
>
> What causes them is any message sent to a listname-bounces address that
> is not recognized as a delivery status notification by Mailman's bounce
> processing. At this point actual unrecognized DSNs are very rare, but if
> the message looks like a DSN and is unrecognized, you can post it here,
> and we will try to update the recognizers to recognize it.
>
> You can set a list's Bounce processing ->
> bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner to No to eliminate the notices
> from that list, but then you will miss any real bounces which are
> unrecognized if there are any.
>
> The only harm is the extra mail to deal with.
>
> The increase is probably due to an increase in spam possibly due to
> various listname-bounces addresses getting on more spammers lists.

Here is a sample of one semi-regular bounce I get from a list I manage
(I haved X'ed out the personal information included in the bounce). I
suspect that one issue is that this is a bounce message, not a server
refusing (thus they are probably back-scattering), and the bounce
doesn't give the address that the message was sent to (though it is in
the Delivered-To: header of the message that bounced that I trimmed).

Also, being a 'I think your a spammer' as opposed to 'That address isn't
valid' message says I am not sure one really wants to count it as a bounce.

(pair.com/pairlist.net is my service provider, arlingtonlist.org is the
domain for the mailing list, osiris.978.org is their domain)

Date: 2 Jul 2019 08:30:09 -0400
From: MAILER-DAEMON at osiris.978.org
To: <arlington-bounces at arlingtonlist.org>
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the bounce program. I'm afraid I've been instructed to return
your message. It was refused by the recipient's junk mail controls.

To reach XXXXXXXXXXX, please telephone +1 888 XXXXXXX.

Richard Damon