[Mailman-Users] deleting archives, default sender addresses

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 27 12:46:14 EST 2019

On 2/27/19 12:09 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>   Hi folks.  I'm a longtime Mailman 2 user, working with Mailman 3 for
>> the first time (specifically v3.1.1) and things are going pretty well so
>> far.  I don't particularly like having to run it under Linux (we're a
>> Solaris-based outfit) but I bit the bullet and built a VM for it.
>
> A much better list for Mailman 3 is mailman-users at mailman3.org
> <https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users@mailman3.org/>.
> Several Mailman 3 developers don't read this list.

  Oops, my apologies, thank you for the heads-up.  I will subscribe over
there shortly.

> Also, have you tried
> installing Mailman 3 on Solaris? It should work although there may be
> some dependency gotchas. If you do succeed and it's not straightforward,
> we'd appreciate your feedback.

  The problem isn't actually Solaris so much as it is SPARC.  There's no
SPARC back-end for Node.js, and the Node.js people don't seem interested
in supporting that platform; apparently they think SPARCs are old or
something. (There were SPARC processors in 1995...but not all SPARC
processors are from 1995!)

  I think there's a better shot at it now, since they've made it
portable enough to run on ARM, but still.

>>   I've hit two little snags, though.  First, I created a test list and
>> exercised it a bit, then deleted it...the archives are still in
>> Hyperkitty, though.  How can I delete those?
>
> See <https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty/issues/3>

  Ok, thanks for the pointer.  I hate to as a stupid question, but how
do I actually run that snippet?  At an REPL prompt I assume, but are
there imports, etc?

>>   Second, address confirmation emails are coming from
>> postorius at localhost.local.  I've dug and dug, and I've not been able to
>> override it.  There are numerous archived forum posts about this, and
>> none of the proposed solutions I've found seem to work.  Help?
>
> That is
>
> DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = 'postorius at localhost.local'
>
> in your Django settings.py. Put your desired override in settings_local.py.

  Perfect!  That worked.  I could've sworn I set that last night and it
didn't work, but perhaps I hadn't restarted Mailman. (it was late..)
But I rebooted the VM this morning to install some patches.

  Thank you, Mark, for your time and assistance.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA