[Mailman-Users] Postfix relay_domains and MySQL tables (uncertainties of the beginner)

Davide Marchi danjde at msw.it
Mon Feb 25 11:51:32 EST 2019

Hi Friends,
I've just installed Mailman 2.1.23 on Debian Stretch, Postfix+Dovecot
with "virtual_domains" "virtual_users" "virtual_aliases" on MySQL, and
all seems works fine, but not tested again.
I write you for clarification before to start.

I'm not shure about the Postfix option:

postconf -e 'relay_domains = lists.example.com'

I'm using this mail server as a normal mail server and not just for
Mailman only, so
I would not like this parameter to create problems with sending /
receiving mail from other users (outside Mailman)

And again since I have not read anything on the net about it, could be
create any Mailman problems if I use MySQL as described above?

1) virtual_domains table for holds the list of domains that I will use
as virtual_mailbox_domains in Postfix:

"
user = mailuser
password = 123456789
hosts = 127.0.0.1
dbname = mailserver
query = SELECT 1 FROM virtual_domains WHERE name='%s'
"

2) virtual_users the table contains information about my users which is
mapping email addresses (virtual_mailbox_maps) to the location of the
user’s mailbox in Postfix:

"
user = mailuser
password = 123456789
hosts = 127.0.0.1
dbname = mailserver
query = SELECT 1 FROM virtual_users WHERE email='%s'
"

3) virtual_aliases table for mapping that information about my users for
forwarding emails from one email address to others (virtual_alias_maps
mapping)

"
user = mailuser
password = 123456789
hosts = 127.0.0.1
dbname = mailserver
query = SELECT destination FROM virtual_aliases WHERE source='%s'
"

4) and last but not last "/etc/postfix/mysql-email2email.cf" for the
latter mapping:

"
user = mailuser
password = 123456789
hosts = 127.0.0.1
dbname = mailserver
query = SELECT email FROM virtual_users WHERE email='%s'
"

virtual_alias_maps=mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-alias-maps.cf,mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-email2email.cf

Many many thanks to all!

Davide