[Mailman-Users] Cron job to reset member bounce value

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 17 13:13:39 EST 2019

On 12/17/19 9:45 AM, Ethan Rudnitsky wrote:
> Mark and Carl,
>
> Thank you both for your replies. So there are actually 2 issues causing
> bounces here... the first is the mailbox being offline at times, and the
> second is that it is getting messages bounced because of message size being
> over the limit. A few of these same accounts have strict 50KB message
> limits because they get their connectivity via Iridium modems, so when
> someone sends a message greater than 50KB it is bouncing. I have just
> utilized one of Mark's scripts and created a cron job in the crontab.in
> file at /usr/lib/mailman/cron that is formatted as follows: 0 8 * * *
> mailman /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -a -r reset_bounce -- -u
> manager at xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx -u comms at xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx -u cargo at xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx
>
> I then restarted the mailman service. Does this to be properly formatted
> for targeting only the 3 specific member accounts I want?

Carl raises some good points, but to answer your specific question, I
don't know what if anything your distro's Mailman package does with
/usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab.in, but if it copies it automagically to
/etc/cron.d/mailman, then putting the command there is OK.

The bottom line is if your Mailman cron jobs are in a system crontab
such as /etc/cron.d/mailman, you want the line

> 0 8 * * * mailman /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -a -r reset_bounce -- -u manager at xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx -u comms at xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx -u cargo at xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx

in that file. If your Mailman cron jobs are in the Mailman user's
crontab /var/spool/cron/crontabs/mailman, you need to omit the username
as in

> 0 8 * * * /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -a -r reset_bounce -- -u manager at xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx -u comms at xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx -u cargo at xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx

You also need to have copied the script to
/usr/lib/mailman/bin/reset_bounce.py