[Mailman-Users] Cron job to reset member bounce value

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Dec 17 12:38:57 EST 2019

On 12/16/2019 9:55 AM, Ethan Rudnitsky wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where the actual member bounce value is stored? I want
> to setup a cron job to reset the member bounce value to 0 for
> certain members whose mailboxes are only active when they have a satellite
> overhead to give them internet connectivity (about 8-10 hours each day).
> They keep getting disabled because their bounce value breaks the threshold
> value but this cannot be avoided due to their location and lack of
> internet.

Sounds like a work-around to the real problem- that one of the MTA in the
delivery chain is not properly retrying the message. In general, most MTAs
are configured to retry for at least 24 hours and sometimes as long as 5
days before returning a fatal bounce, so if a destination server is
off-line, the sending one will try again in an hour or so.

Which error code(s) are you seeing? Some 400 codes are designed to be
retried later whereas 500's are immediately fatal.

Later,

z!