[Mailman-Users] removing s/mime parts before distributing mail to list-members required?

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Dec 3 01:10:36 EST 2019

Stefan Bauer via Mailman-Users writes:

 > More and more mails contain s/mime signatures. How to deal with
 > that?

To add to what Mark says, I would say not at all.  I would consider
broken S/MIME signatures to be a bug, because Mailman should be
treating the multipart/signed *part* as a block, and appending both
header (if any) and footer (if any) as separate parts.  The content
subpart should be unchanged so the signature should not be broken.  If
subscribers complain that signatures don't verify, please report that
to us.  (I'm not sure we would do anything about it, since Mailman 2
is nearing end-of-life.  On the other hand I would consider it a
priority for Mailman 3, and it might not be hard to backport.)

The problems with signatures have to do with signatures intended to
ensure integrity of the whole message, usually DKIM.  These signatures
are necessarily broken if Mailman makes any change to the message body
or to the specified message header fields.  S/MIME only deals with
body parts on a part by part basis, and Mailman doesn't need to change
those.

Steve