[Mailman-Users] Frustrating web page issues

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Apr 23 11:53:39 EDT 2019

At Tue, 23 Apr 2019 09:13:15 -0600 Mark J Bradakis <mark at bradakis.com> wrote:

> So a couple of days ago I had a server just up and die.  It was put in
> place about 12 years ago, if not more.  Luckily I was working on
> replacing it, so I had  a new box under construction almost ready to
> take its place.  But the old server dies before I could make a smooth
> transition and get everything working on the new server.
>
> Got the new server on line, up and running, the email lists are doing
> just fine.  But for some reason there are problems with the web pages,
> like http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo will not work.  And I don't

Define "will not work". Is the page coming up? Giving a 500 or 404 or 403 or
some other error? Are you just getting a blank screen? Did you have a look at
Apache's error_log?

Some posibilities (guesses):

What version of Python is installed?  2 or 3?

What are the mailman settings WRT domain names?  Do they match the new
server's domain name (eg is the new server's domain the same or different from
the old server)?

Is selinux installed? Enabled? Permissive?

> know why.  Here's the relevant lines from the httpd config file:
>

> ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/local/mailman/teamnet/cgi-bin/"
>
> <Directory "/local/mailman/teamnet/cgi-bin/">
>            Require all granted
>            Options ExecCGI
>
> </Directory>
>
> This was enough to work on the old server.  New server is Fedora 29,
> mailman version is mailman-2.1.29, Apache: Server version: Apache/2.4.39
> (Fedora)  I have gone over the mailman installation instructions, and
> can't figure out what is going on.  I must be missing something really
> basic and obvious, but what?  Maybe I am just getting old and senile, I
> solved problems like this for a quarter of a century as a sys admin at
> the U of Utah Computer Science department, must be really rusty and out
> of practice.
>
> Fun fun fun.
>
> mjb.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933