[Mailman-Users] Now that Python 2 is dead in 2020 what are people's plans with mailman2?

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 10 16:14:45 EDT 2019

On 4/10/19 2:08 PM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

> Or rust, or python3 (which might be the easiest). I'm not sufficiently
> up on the python differences, but..... it can't be -that- difficult.....
> (and aren't there tools to assist? some code claims to be both v2 and v3
> compatible) (gnat? that's really ada, isn't it?)

Python 3.4 is not compatible with python 3.6 is not compatible with
python 3.7 -- there is not guarantee you won't have to do the same dance
again and again every couple of years. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Ada (yes) and Go's the stated goal is to be long-term stable. Something
that basically isn't broken, like MM2, wouldn't need to be fixed
"because 2020".

> Maybe there's a place for a community-driven port of MM2 onto python3. I
> am not volunteering, too many other projects currently.

MM probably deals with strings a lot, and strings is exactly what they
felt they needed to do differently in python 3... I'm sure there's other
monsters there too.

I suspect the practical answer may be as simple as replacing
/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman with
"""
cat - | docker exec MM2_CONTAINTER /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman "$@" -
"""
and maybe when I get a round tuit for upgrading our mail server I'll
give that a try...
--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin