[Mailman-Users] [ext] Re: private archives, but not when accessing from intranet?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 5 20:45:04 EDT 2018

On 09/04/2018 11:27 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
>>
>> Assuming MM 2.1, just make an alias in Apache that requires the special
>> IPs and goes to archives/private/LISTNAME/
>
> Forgot to mention that I'm stripping attachments and that's why the
> users need to access the archives.... Meaning the mails contain links to
> the attachments in the archive. External users will have to take the
> normal route (email & pass) and interal users should be able to access
> without that hurdle.

That makes it trickier. Suppose you were to create an alias in Apache
with the IP restrictions such that for a URL like
http://example.com/mailman/private/list/..., one of the permitted IPs
could go instead to
http://example.com/the_alias/... and be sent to archives/private/list/...

Then people from the special IPs who found a link to say
http://example.com/mailman/private/list/attachments/20180901/xxxxxxxx/attachment.xxx
would need to go instead to
http://example.com/the_alias/attachments/20180901/xxxxxxxx/attachment.xxx
and it would be awkward for them to have to make that translation manually.

I suspect you could do this in Apache with RewriteCond (for the IPs) and
RewriteRule to map mailman/private/list to the_alias.

You might also consider modifying Mailman/Cgi/private.py to skip login
if the request is for 'list' and from one of the special IPs. This
approach would allow everyone to use the same private archive URLs and
require no Apache tweaks.