[Mailman-Users] mailman generated email

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 22 23:05:55 EDT 2018

On 10/22/18 4:20 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:

> What's the definitive way to describe to him the [crontab?] mechanism that
> generates the overnight "pending moder requests" message that mailman
> generates.   He doesn't even understand that with the messages I forwarded to
> him for comparison were generated by mailman -- he just mentioned that each of
> the two pending requests was a real user-sent message [of course true] but
> doesn't see the forest [that that was mailman notification] for the trees [the two
> message currently pending].  ugh

Trying to get this resolved is probably futile. Particularly if the host
is running cPanel. cPanel includes Mailman in their distribution and
while some cPanel hosts are very good at supporting Mailman, others only
offer Mailman because it comes with cPanel and know nothing about
Mailman and don't want to learn.

That said, you could try to explain to him that in addition to
forwarding posts to list members, Mailman generates several different
kinds of notices on its own. In particular, the "nn moderator requests
waiting" message is generated by Mailman's cron/checkdbs job which is
intended to be run by cron once daily, however in your case, it appears
that this job is being run twice, either by two separate crontabs or two
entries in one crontab.

Good luck.