[Mailman-Users] Microsoft blocking our Mailman lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 7 13:12:54 EDT 2018

On 10/07/2018 09:28 AM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> FMP's mail and web server is a virtual server at Linode. We run half a
> dozen Mailman lists or so, all opt-in lists for a couple of non-profits
> and small business customers, all of which have been running
> successfully for many months. Today I got a large number of
> unsubscription notices from one of our lists, all of them for addresses
> at hotmail.com, msn.com and outlook.com. They contain the following
> text:
>
>  hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com [104.47.44.33]:
>  >>> MAIL FROM:<aftm-bounces+clarkson-66=hotmail.com at lists.fmp.com>
> BODY=8BITMIME SIZE=5492
>  <<< 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [198.58.125.221] weren't
> sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their
> network is on our block list (S3140). You can also refer your provider
> to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.
> [SN1NAM04FT034.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com]
>
> Has anyone seen similar problems recently with Microsoft mail customers
> who are Mailman list subscribers?

I haven't seen Microsoft IP block bounces on any of the lists I'm
involved with in some time, but I used to have other issues with them.

You need to go to <http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx>. In
the second paragraph under "Sender services, tools, and issue
submission" you will see "click here to contact support" which goes to
<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=614866>. Submit that form and be
prepared for an iterative process in which you feel you are dealing with
a robot, but you may ultimately get this fixed.

Also, signing up for "Smart Network Data Services"
<https://postmaster.live.com/snds> and maybe other things from
<https://sendersupport.olc.protection.outlook.com/pm/services.aspx> can
help you keep up with what they think of you.