[Mailman-Users] (2.1.26) Mailman CGI error!!! The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being stored in your syslog: Cannot open wrapper configuration file: No such file or directory

michaelof at rocketmail.com michaelof at rocketmail.com
Tue May 29 15:16:07 EDT 2018

Mark,

thank you for answering so detailed!

Am 29.05.2018 um 19:37 schrieb Mark Sapiro:
> On 05/29/2018 03:19 AM, michaelof--- via Mailman-Users wrote:
>>
>> After upgrading the VPS to OpenSuse Leap 15.0, Mailman still 2.1.26, Apache from 2.4.23 to 2.4.33, Python from 2.7.13 to
>> 2.7.14, I'm getting the error message in the subject of this mail when trying to access the mailman web pages on Apache.
>

> Is there anything in Mailman's error log?

My Mailman has been talking to my Postfix, so (forgot where this was defined) uses also Postfix's log files. Postfix
errors on OpenSuse go to /var/log/mail.err.

Independent if I call via Browser / Apache or directly, or in the cgi-bin dir with ./listinfo as root, or with "su -u
mailman ./listinfo", result in mail.err is always the same added line:

2018-05-29T20:31:14.894893+02:00 vserver Mailman cgi-wrapper (listinfo): Cannot open wrapper configuration file: No such
file or directory

Means
a) that logging itself is possible but
b) log does not add any value for narrowing down the problem, at least not for me :-(

Maybe a silly question: for what (specific) "wrapper configuration file" mailman is searching for??

Any chance to get mailman's log more verbosive, temporarily?

I'm 100% sure for OpenSuse that as well apache (wwwrun/www) as mailman (mailman/mailman) haven't changed their username
and unix group for at least the last 3 centuries, in IT timing :-) I'm also sure (checked in backup) that the numeric
UIDs and GIDs haven't changed.

>> - Got the hint from #httpd, that the error msg has nothing to to with apache itself. Tested to run e.g. "listinfo"
>> manually, same error:
>>
>> vserver:/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin # ./listinfo
>>
>> <head>
>> <title>Mailman CGI error!!!</title>
>> </head><body>
>> <h1>Mailman CGI error!!!</h1>
>> The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being stored in your syslog:
>> <pre>
>> Cannot open wrapper configuration file: No such file or directory</pre>
>

> This comes from the various cgi-bin wrappers themselves when they
> encounter a fatal error.
>
> First of all, when trying to debug by running these from the command
> line you have to run them as the web server user. I.e.,
>
> sudo -u xxx ./listinfo

done, see above

> where xxx is the user the web server runs as. The issues that cause this
> are GROUP_NAME_NOT_FOUND, GROUP_MISMATCH or failure to set the effective
> GID.
>
> If the wrapper was able to write Mailman's error log, the message there
> should give details. If there's nothing in the error log, you might try
> temporarily setting o+w in the log file to see if that allows writing
> the message.

no (more) details in log except error msg, see above

> If the upgrade somehow changed the user:group that apaches runs as, that
> would cause this.

For sure not changed, see above

> If your Mailman is installed from source, you may need to rerun
> configure with a different --with-cgi-gid option and make install. If
> it's a Suse package, this is a Suse issue.

no change in gid/uid, could open an OpenSuse Bugzilla issue, but not a real how to start / get the OpenSuse team
convinced that this is not an issue on my side/config or a mailman issue