[Mailman-Users] (2.1.26) Mailman CGI error!!! The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being stored in your syslog: Cannot open wrapper configuration file: No such file or directory

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 29 13:37:08 EDT 2018

On 05/29/2018 03:19 AM, michaelof--- via Mailman-Users wrote:

> After upgrading the VPS to OpenSuse Leap 15.0, Mailman still 2.1.26, Apache from 2.4.23 to 2.4.33, Python from 2.7.13 to
> 2.7.14, I'm getting the error message in the subject of this mail when trying to access the mailman web pages on Apache.

Is there anything in Mailman's error log?

> - Got the hint from #httpd, that the error msg has nothing to to with apache itself. Tested to run e.g. "listinfo"
> manually, same error:
>
> vserver:/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin # ./listinfo
>
> <head>
> <title>Mailman CGI error!!!</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Mailman CGI error!!!</h1>
> The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being stored in your syslog:
> <pre>
> Cannot open wrapper configuration file: No such file or directory</pre>

This comes from the various cgi-bin wrappers themselves when they
encounter a fatal error.

First of all, when trying to debug by running these from the command
line you have to run them as the web server user. I.e.,

sudo -u xxx ./listinfo

where xxx is the user the web server runs as. The issues that cause this
are GROUP_NAME_NOT_FOUND, GROUP_MISMATCH or failure to set the effective
GID.

If the wrapper was able to write Mailman's error log, the message there
should give details. If there's nothing in the error log, you might try
temporarily setting o+w in the log file to see if that allows writing
the message.

If the upgrade somehow changed the user:group that apaches runs as, that
would cause this.

If your Mailman is installed from source, you may need to rerun
configure with a different --with-cgi-gid option and make install. If
it's a Suse package, this is a Suse issue.