[Mailman-Users] User's message discarded by SpamDetect

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 1 15:08:19 EST 2018

On 03/01/2018 11:41 AM, Jim Dory wrote:
> Our local campus from Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks has set up an (I believe)
> alias email account on the alaska.edu domain. Their system uses gmail.com'
> business account to handle email. When the user tries to send to our list,
> it gets blocked with no bounce. From the
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/vette file:
>
> Mar 01 17:34:48 2018 (11087) Message discarded, msgid: <
> CACxqi6wTfXca-AAjNp5MUsCb4wKLfJwGgkb4K2t+hxi6_8LWog at mail.gmail.com>'
>        list: Nome-announce,
>        handler: SpamDetect

There are a few possibilities.

She is posting from a domain with a DMARC policy of reject or quarantine
and the list's dmarc_moderation_action is Discard.

You have configured a list of tuples of the form (header, regexp) in
KNOWN_SPAMMERS in mm_cfg.py and some header in her message matches a
corresponding KNOWN_SPAMMERS regexp.

You have configured header_filter_rules and a rule with action Discard
matches this message.

None of these honor the forward_auto_discards setting.