[Mailman-Users] Migrating Mailman to New Server (Same Domain)

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Tue Jun 12 11:16:54 EDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-06-12 at 17:52 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Mark Sapiro writes:
>  > On 6/11/18 4:36 AM, Jeffrey Rolland wrote:
>  > > I tried using your script. The tar_list.sh script works fine. But, for the
>  > > untar_list.sh script, I had two fairly big problems.
>  >
>  >
>  > Where did you find these scripts? They are not distributed by the GNU
>  > mailman project.
>
> I suspect he's talking about Lindsay's scripts from
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2013-November/075737.html
>
> I wonder if his system might default to a non-GNU tar.

No, I use GNU tar.

These are pretty simple scripts, and I posted them pretty much as an
example of how _I_ automated the process of migrating lists. There are
some conditions on which this process depends, one being that remote
action as the root user on the new system be allowed by sshd
configuration. Another being that the versions and file and directory
layouts and ownerships on the old and new systems be sufficiently
congruent.

I didn't post these as drop-and-run scripts so much as illustrations of
how I automated the process, and how others might proceed to do so.
Sufficient knowledge of bash scripting and basic Unix permissions and
such may well be required to properly modify and use these scripts on
other systems.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."