[Mailman-Users] Cascading lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 6 12:42:05 EDT 2018

On 06/06/2018 08:41 AM, Rubén Fernández Asensio wrote:
> I'm now trying to make an umbrella list encompassing both lists.
> Unfortunately, the wiki's wording is extremely poor on this issue:
> https://wiki.list.org/DOC/How%20do%20I%20set%20up%20an%20umbrella%20list%3F
>
> After the sentence "posts from the umbrella list will be held for
> "implicit destination" by a sublist." it's simply undeciferable.
> "Taking these in reverse order.." Really? This is just a very badly
> planned text, if at all. What if I don't need sublist members to post to
> the umbrella list? What do I have to do?

The text is clear to me, but then I wrote it. What it says is there are
3 issues, bullet points 1, 2 and 3, and taking these in reverse order,
i.e. point 3 first and then point 2 and finally point 1.

I suppose instead of

"Taking these in reverse order, If a sublist's ..."

it could say

"The third issue is if a sublist's ..."

or

"The last of these issues is if a sublist's ..."

What do you think.

> I subscribed both lists to the umbrella list, but both are rejecting
> messages from the umbrella.
> What are the exact steps I have to follow from now? One by one, and not
> "in reverse order", please.

Why are the messages being rejected? Which of ther three bullet points
applies?

If it's point 1, scroll down to "The first issue can be hardest to deal
with." and read that.

If it's point 2, read the 4 paragraphs beginning with "The second issue
is when ..."

If it's point 3, add the posting address of the umbrella list to Privacy
options...->Recipient filters->acceptable_aliases of each of the sub-lists.

If you really don't have members of the sublists posting to the
umbrella, point 1 and possibly point 2 don't apply.