[Mailman-Users] non-subscribers getting through--email address in "Real Name"

Fri Jul 27 19:18:16 EDT 2018

On 7/27/18 6:41 PM, Jordan Brown wrote:
> On 7/25/2018 5:24 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
>> Yes, one set of solutions would involve defining standards of how to
>> compose composite messages, with standards on how to display them. A
>> major part of the current issue is that for anything more than a
>> single part plain text you can't be sure how it will be handled.
>
> I can't say that I'm a true expert, or that I've really investigated,
> but I believe you can wrap an entire message (with multiple parts)
> into a single part of the wrapper message.  I don't think you need any
> new message-structure standards.  You might need standards for headers
> that would say that that's what you've done, and you certainly would
> need MUA support.
>
> (And to others who have replied:  yes, all understood.  Like I said,
> adoption would be hard.)

Yes, there are existing formats that at least mostly represent this in
the message itself, but not for display. Especially that currently the
wrapping message would say it is from the list, but you really want some
way for it to say that in the MUA's message list, it should indicate who
the author of the embedded message was, not the 'author' of the wrapping
message. This probably means that we need a new message content type to
indicate it.

Also, the MUA (or maybe their MTA) should know enough to pierce through
that wrapping message and give an indication that the wrapped message
passes or fails the appropriate tests. The current formatting doesn't
imply that that should happen.

--
Richard Damon