[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.x to 3.1.x Migration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 25 11:56:56 EDT 2018

On 07/25/2018 02:54 AM, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> Thanks for this; I am on the Docker version which is not updated yet.  once it gets updated and I migrate to it, will I be able to re-import those missing messages by running a complete import again or will this cause more trouble now?

You can re-run the import with the complete mbox as long as you specify
--since= with a date older than any of the messages in the mbox. Without
that, it won't import anything because the messages will all be 'too old'.

Running with the full mbox will be OK as those messages with Message-ID:
headers will be detected as duplicates and won't be added a second time,
but if the mbox is large, it would be faster to run with just the
messages without Message-ID: headers, but possibly not faster overall
considering the effort to extract those messages.

> I did run cleanarch on the mbox before doing any of this import work and didn't get any issues.  The lists all came from Mailman 2.1 (starting from around 2.1.5).

That's expected. Since even somewhat before Mailman 2.1.5, archive
mboxes have been good. It's normally only those started on Mailman 2.0.x
(or older?) or mboxes imported from elsewhere that have significant issues.