[Mailman-Users] non-subscribers getting through--email address in "Real Name"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 24 22:34:28 EDT 2018

On 07/24/2018 07:11 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>> On Jul 24, 2018, at 9:43 PM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users <mailman-users at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> If you view the message to am MLM as as separate end-to-end delivery process from the message from an MLM to the subscriber, DMARC can and does work with MLMs.
>
> Only if you consider the mailing list the Author of every message relayed by it.

To elaborate a bit. RFC 5322 says

   The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
   that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
   for the writing of the message.  The "Sender:" field specifies the
   mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
   message.  For example, if a secretary were to send a message for
   another person, the mailbox of the secretary would appear in the
   "Sender:" field and the mailbox of the actual author would appear in
   the "From:" field.

In that sense, many of us think that the person who wrote the post is
still the author even if the list made a few simple changes that didn't
alter the basic text of the original message while the list is a Sender:

That's why we believe that Munge From is non-compliant. You may think
that the list is in fact "the person(s) or system(s) responsible for the
writing of the message", but many people don't agree.