[Mailman-Users] Sample of an Uncaught bounce notification

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 30 14:36:50 EST 2018

On 01/30/2018 07:48 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Mark Sapiro wrote:  Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:10:34 -0800
>>
>> Thank you for your report. In this case, the message that is an
>> "unrecognized bounce" is not an actual bounce of a list message. It is a
>> message (looks like spam)
>
> Thanks Mark,
> It's not spam, but a bilingual German & English change of address,
> presumably from an auto responder from a subscribed address (I checked).

Thank you for the clarification.

> Thanks. At berklix.org I have no time for subscribers who consume
> list owners' time with auto responders, I like mailman to auto
> detect automatic response noise, & count & auto unsubscribe continuing
> noisy subscrbers.
>
> In case the sample is of use I will leave it here for a bit:
> http://berklix.com/~jhs/tmp/mailman/uncaught_bounce_notification/1

It's hard enough to recognize all the various non-compliant messages
which are actually bounces of list mail and extract the bouncing
address(es) from them.

While I sympathize with the problem of autoresponders replying to the
list or the list-bounces address, to try to actually recognize such
messages as what they are and attribute them to the actual list member
is a task too daunting for me to consider.

For autoresponses to the list, you could use header_filter_rules to
match things like auto-submitted or auto-replied and discard such
messages, but that won't work for messages to the -bounces address.

You can chose to forward such messages to the list owners or ignore
them, but to ask Mailman to determine the responsible list member and
score a bounce is more than I'm willing to try to do.