[Mailman-Users] Reply-to options not working

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Jan 30 00:51:17 EST 2018

Chip Davis writes:

 > I have a constant problem with well-meaning, but essentially
 > ignorant, email users who, upon seeing a "Reply To:" field in their
 > MUA's setup screen, dutifully fill it in with their email address.
 > Then they complain that even though they "replied to the list",
 > their email went only to the poster.

I don't think I have *ever* seen this full sequence.  It may have
something to do with being unable to recall an MUA that by default
asks for Reply-To.

 > That's why I have to "first_strip_reply_to", and it appears, will
 > still have to do so in your new paradigm, Stephen.

Yes, but you have to blame, uh, Dave Crocker and the other authors of
RFC 724 (May 1977) for that, as well as the particularly whacked MUA(s)
that these users use.

Maybe my BCP should specify that you should add an input field for
Reply-To only if the user requests it for that message. :-)  And that
if it's in the configure screen, it should have a checkbox "same as my

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull/sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information