[Mailman-Users] Reply-to options not working

Chip Davis chip at aresti.com
Mon Jan 29 12:14:29 EST 2018

I am loathe to weigh in on this architectural design discussion, but
it seems to ignore the PEBCAK effect.

I admin about a dozen _discussion_ Mailman lists as a mitzvah for
various organizations I'm fond of, none of which are well-populated
with computer scientists.  Exhibit A is the number of subscribers who
have free email accounts at Yahoo, AOL, or bellsouth.net (who
subcontracts their email processing to Yahoo).

I have a constant problem with well-meaning, but essentially ignorant,
email users who, upon seeing a "Reply To:" field in their MUA's setup
screen, dutifully fill it in with their email address.  Then they
complain that even though they "replied to the list", their email went
only to the poster.

That's why I have to "first_strip_reply_to", and it appears, will
still have to do so in your new paradigm, Stephen.  You can't defeat
ignorance, only battle it to a bloody draw.

I've been doing this for years, and it seems that the proliferation of
POS (not "point-of-sale") cellphone email clients has made things
exponentially worse.  They are more concerned with adding a button to
to automatically order whatever is in highlighted text from Amazon,
than with RFC's.

-Chip-