[Mailman-Users] Photos from Macs getting removed by list server

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Mon Jan 22 21:36:36 EST 2018

On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 02:10 +0000, Peter Shute wrote:
> Thanks for all that. I googled collapse_alternatives, and I can see
> from the colour of some of the results that I've looked this up
> before.
>
> Given that Mac and (particularly) iPhone/iPad users are common, we
> probably don't have an unusual problem. Maybe I should just ask the
> list owner to try changing those two settings to see how it goes:
> collapse_alternatives=No
> convert_html_to_plaintext=No

I've been preaching for years to people that using HTML-enhanced email
is a questionable practice, and on a mailing list it's even worse.
There is no established standard for this usage, and graphic
attachments may or may not be handled, or handled as the sender
expected. On a mailing list it's a pretty sure bet that at least _some_
subscribers won't be able to see what the sender intended, so SOP on
the lists here is to just strip them off. An email with _only_ an HTML
MIME part is identified as spam.

Smart phones have complicated the issue since in my experience smart
phone MUAs are fairly brain-dead.

I tell my Mailman mailing list customers that spot color, font effects
(bolding, italics, etc) and simple layout are probably fine, but the
use of images, either embedded or attached, is dicey.

It used to be that HTML-ized emails were up to 10 times the size of
plain text emails, depending on the generating MUA. This is probably
still true, but bandwidth and storage capacities around the Internet
have risen over the years so that this isn't the problem it used to be.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."