[Mailman-Users] Photos from Macs getting removed by list server

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Mon Jan 22 16:33:52 EST 2018

Mark Sapiro wrote:

> > If the list is plain-text only, I'd be more curious how images were
> > making their way through, not the reverse.
>
> Exactly!

Perhaps I've used the wrong terminology. I mean that convert_html_to_plaintext is set to Yes.

> In order to say more, we'd need to see all the content filtering settings for
> the list and the emails at issue. Ideally, we'd like a raw email as sent to the
> list, but even the resultant email from the list might be helpful.

I've attached a screenshot of the content filtering page. Does that tell you everything you need to know? (Assuming it'll be allowed through. If not, what's the easiest way to list all the settings?)

> I.e., for the ideal case, have the user mail to the list with a Bcc: to you. Then,
> show us the content filtering settings and both raw emails, the list mail and
> the direct Bcc:.

I still have all the moderation notification emails, with the original emails attached. Can I use those to get the information you need?

But before I start trying to gather together evidence, could we "fix" this problem by setting convert_html_to_plaintext to No? If so, are there any side effects of that we should know about before we try it?

I'm not the owner of the list, and it wasn't my decision to set it to Yes. I'm under the impression that the owner changed it as a precaution once after the list was somehow being used to send out spam. It's my impression that in the years before I had admin access, there have been periods when html was allowed, but I have no idea of the reasons for the earlier changes.

Peter Shute