[Mailman-Users] Retention policy for archives

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jan 16 13:46:43 EST 2018

On 01/16/2018 11:17 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> The down side of this is each time you run it, the messages in the
> archive will be renumbered and prior saved URLs to archived messages
> will no longer work.

It seems like it would be possible to augment the prune_arch script to
add place holder messages for pruned messages thus making sure that the
prior saved URLs would still be valid.  I.e.:

| From:  Pruned <maillist at example.net>
| To: Mail List <maillist at example.net>
| Subject: Pruned
| Date: $originalDate
|
| This message has been pruned from the archive.

I think that the ~160 bytes that each pruned message would consume would
be worth retaining the functionality of the prior saved URLs.

Just my 2¢ worth.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die