[Mailman-Users] "[Errno 30] Read-only file system" error when accessing Mailman admin pages from outside of cPanel

Jim Ratliff jim at jim-ratliff.name
Tue Jan 9 13:36:47 EST 2018

> On Jan 2, 2018, at 11:31 AM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net <mailto:mark at msapiro.net>> wrote:
>
> Is the web server running on a separate host and accessing Mailman via
> NTFS or similar or perhaps running in a jail that is not allowing write
> access to /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public?

Mark, thanks for you explanation (now a week ago) and in particular your above-quoted diagnostic question.

I realized that answering that was somewhat above my experience-with-servers level, so I involved cPanel into this question. See the thread:
https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/read-only-file-system-error-accessing-mailman-admin.619067 <https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/read-only-file-system-error-accessing-mailman-admin.619067>

Your hunch that Mailman is "perhaps running in a jail that is not allowing write access to /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public” seems spot on.

cPanelMichael asked:
> Can you verify if the "EXPERIMENTAL: Jail Apache Virtual Hosts using mod_ruid2 and cPanel® jailshell" option is enabled under the "Security" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings" on this system? If so, does temporarily disabling this option solve the issue?

Indeed, I did have that option enabled (for no good reason; it’s default is disabled). When I disabled it, the problem went away.

Further, cPanelMichael said:
> The option is known to have some compatibility issues with Mailman (internal case CPANEL-9501 is open for this). There's currently no time frame on a potential solution, so for now it's likely a better approach to keep it disabled.

So I’ve disabled this option, and I’m having no problems now in this regard.

Thanks for your help!

Jim