[Mailman-Users] mm_cfg

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Jan 4 12:06:24 EST 2018

Dimitri Maziuk writes:

 > Fair enough but I should think expecting site-specific settings to
 > live under /etc is no longer distro-specific and that mm_cfg.py
 > violates the principle of least surprise for any distro since
 > fsstnd.

Fair enough, but the distros already have scripts that handle this,
which they would have to change.  "Don't fix what ain't already broke"
applies.

More important, many users upgrade from source, often via local
packages.  Each distro does things differently.  As I understand your
post, RH/Centos leaves mm_cfg.py in /var/lib/mailman/Mailman and puts
a link in /etc.  But Debian moves the actual file to /etc/mailman, and
puts a link in /var/lib/mailman/Mailman.  Almost surely people are
going to end up with their custom configs overwritten with the default
when they upgrade.

It's just not worth it for an application that's basically EOL, just
to make one user with an exceptional environment happier.

Regards,