[Mailman-Users] Recent phishing mails are targeting mailing-lists -- and do pass

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Sep 26 09:55:24 EDT 2017

At Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:23:21 -0400 Richard Shetron <guest2 at sgeinc.com> wrote:

> Spamassassin produces a numeric rating for for an email based on
> multiple rules.  Legitimate email can easily get a rating of 3 or 4
> based on the way you have it configured.  I've seen double digit ratings
> as well.  If you check for a single digit, you may be filtering
> legitimate emails that have a low score.

Spamassassin can be configured to only include the score header if the score
excedes the threshold, so low score messages will be passed. Setting that pass
the filter to "hold", allows the moderator to pass messages that Spamassassin
has issues with (higher score).  I can be worth it to catch the *occassional*
"false positive", if almost all of the true spam is caught.

*I* have not had any problems.  The 'unknown' filter catches some of the
people posting from AOL, but mostly is catching spam.  Ditto with the
Spamassassin filter.  And it is possible to tweek the Spamassassin scoring, if
there is a *consistent* "false positive" problem.  That is what
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf is for...

> On 9/26/2017 7:58 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > I also use Spamassassin on my server, so having a rule like:

> > is also helpful at catching spam and phishing mail.
> >
> [snip]

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933