[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 17 17:54:55 EDT 2017

On 10/17/2017 02:40 PM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:
> On 10/17/2017 03:22 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Agreed, but the above imply NOT RFC 5322 compliant.
>
> Please elaborate, if you're referring to more than From: vs Sent-By:.

What I mean is as I posted previously
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2017-October/082611.html>,
RFC 5322 says the From: contains the "the mailbox(es) of the person(s)
or system(s) responsible for the writing of the message." and munging
the From: to the list address is not compliant with this requirement.

In the spirit of DMARC mitigation, we all agree that it is a necessary
evil, at least in some cases, but that doesn't change the fact that it
is an 'evil'.