[Mailman-Users] Suppress moderation message in mailman 2.1 ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Nov 6 13:01:07 EST 2017

On 11/06/2017 07:05 AM, John Levine wrote:
> I run a two-way usenet <-> mailman gateway.  When I forward someting
> from the usenet group to mailman, it gets moderated, which is what I
> want since a fair amount of the stuff in the usenet group is spam.

I can't understand what the issue is. Normally, posts from usenet will
be accepted without moderation unless the poster happens to be a
moderated list member, or possibly if LISTNAME-bounces at list.domain is a
moderated member hopefully with delivery disabled, or if the list's
emergency moderation is set, but emergency holds send no notices.

So my first question is how/why are the posts being held?

> When mailman mdoerates the message, it sends the usual moderation
> message to the usenet poster, which many posters find confusing.

This should not happen. The code that sends the user notice of a held
post specifically exempts posts from usenet.

> Even
> worse, since many usenet posters use fake addresses, the moderation
> messages can go to random strangers.
>
> Is there something I can put in the message header to say not to
> send the moderation messages?  I don't want to turn them off globally
> since they're fine for people who send mail directly to the list.

I don't understand why they are sent now. They shouldn't be. In order to
understand what's happening, I need to know why the message is held,
i.e. what is the reason given in the admindb UI or mailman's vette log,
and whether you have done anything specific to cause the message to be held