[Mailman-Users] when emailing my list the email is delivered as an attachment to a blank email

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 23 12:32:01 EDT 2017

On 03/22/2017 02:53 PM, Michael Demenis wrote:

> When sending an email to any of my newly created lists the email is delivered as a *subject*.eml file attached to an email that is otherwise blank except for the email footer.

See <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030707>. Note the last sentence of the 5th
paragraph "The same issue applies to msg_header, if any, although in
this case, some MUA's may display the header as the message and the body
as an attachment."

I suspect msg_header is not truly empty. I.e., it contains some
whitespace. If this is the casefor all newly created lists, possibly
DEFAULT_MSG_HEADER is set to something other than the null string ("")
in mm_cfg.py.

In the list's admin UI at Non-digest options -> msg_header, click in the
text box, select all, delete and Submit Your Changes.

This may help.

> This happens whether I send text emails, html emails, I’ve read a few articles that have led me to the content filtering options, played around with a few of these options and not changed any of this behaviour, this still happens when content filter is disabled.

You are probably never actually sending a plain text only email. If you
were, headers and footers would be added inline, not as separate MIME parts.

Also, turning content filtering off will not help. Content filtering
with collapse_alternatives and convert_html_to_plaintext both set to Yes
will help as long as your MUA is not adding a non-plain text signature
to your posts.

> This appears to be different from most user’s issues where the footer becomes the attachment, I’m getting the footer but the body is the attachment. If I set there to be no footer I still get the body as an attachment. In fact I’d much rather have the issue others have seen.

It is not clear to me exactly what is going on that would display the
msg_footer as the body and the message as an attachment. Are you sure
that what you are calling the footer is not actually msg_header? It
would help if you could post or send me an example raw message as
received from the list - i.e. the actual raw message with all headers,
and MIME sub-part headers intact.