[Mailman-Users] Server Migration Issue -- Only Some Members Receive Email?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 10 11:07:51 EST 2017

On 03/09/2017 08:20 AM, Greg Sims wrote:

> I have an issue and have run out of ideas.
>
> [root at ray06 log]# cat /var/log/maillog.processed /var/log/maillog | grep
> 'Mar  9' | grep status=sent | wc
>    6176  109377 1554218
>
> The above looks at our maillogs for email that was sent on Mar 9.  The
> answer is 6,176 emails sent.  We have over 20,000 subscribers total on our
> three mailman lists.  It appears that only some of the subscribers are
> receiving email.

What's in Mailman's 'smtp' log? I.e. in the

<message-id> smtp to listname for nnnn recips, completed ...

entries is nnnn the expected number? If it is, this is not a Mailman
issue per se. It is an MTA/mail delivery issue.

Also, if Mailman is chunking recipients (delivering to the MTA with more
that one recipient per transaction), the MTA may also be delivering to
recipient MXs with more than one recipient per transaction so one
'status=sent' might be a delivery for more than one recipient. See the
post at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2017-March/081959.html>
for some insight on this.

> I also looked at this from the perspective of one ISP -- gmail.com.
>
> [root at ray06 email]# cat /var/log/maillog.processed /var/log/maillog | grep
> 'Mar  9' | grep status=sent | grep gmail.com | wc
>     976   18544  254501
> [root at ray06 email]# sudo /usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_members english-devotion
> | grep gmail.com | wc
>    4945    4945  110190
>
> The maillogs show 976 gmail.com emails sent while one of our lists has
> 4,945 gmail.com members.  Again it appears that only some members are
> receiving email.

Counts of "missing" messages indicate that there is a problem but give
no clue as to what the problem might be.

What are a few of the status log messages for the ones that weren't
status=sent? Are they 'bounced' or 'deferred' and what is the server's
response?.

If the migration involved a new IP, large ISPs that are suddenly
receiving lots of mail from a previously unknown IP may be applying
throttling or greylisting.