[Mailman-Users] How to check if E-mail from Mailman was opened by the subscriber ?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jul 27 13:04:16 EDT 2017

At Wed, 26 Jul 2017 15:43:43 -0400 Dlugasny <dlugasny at protonmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
> we are using Mailman to send out our company newsletters.
> Is it possible to get some how any statistics about Mailman E-mails opened
> by the users ? I simply would like to be informed if user opened an E-mail.
> WIll it be possible ?

There is no way for Mailman to directly test to see if an E-Mail has been
opened. *Unless* you do something the spammers do and most spam filters will
easily detect: you can include a small (0x0 even) image in HTML E-Mail that is
actually a script on your webserver. This will only be opened by a HTML
capable E-Mail client and might be blocked by spam control and/or malware
checking software. Basically, there is no reliable way to test for actually
opened E-Mail. All you can know for sure is if the E-Mail was delivered and
accepted by the final MTA server. Whether that server tossed the message into
the bit bucket, or if the end-user deleted it unread or just never got around
to actually opening message is not something you can be totally sure of.

> Is it possible to get some statistics about bounced E-mails ?

Yes, this information is going to be somewhere in Mailman's logs.

> Thank You very much for Your support in advance.
> Greetings
> Dlugasny
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933