[Mailman-Users] Message waiting for Moderator action

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 5 19:33:03 EST 2017

On 01/05/2017 02:05 PM, Christian F Buser via Mailman-Users wrote:

> I checked the open moderation tasks and found that no message was listed there. A quick question to the others doing some moderation if I am away showed that the message was discarded few hours after it has been sent.
>
> The  message sent to the user says: "Entweder wird Ihre E-Mail in Kürze freigegeben und über die Liste verteilt, oder Sie erhalten eine Mitteilung über eine Ablehnung durch den Moderator." which can be understood in two ways:
> (a) you receive a message _from the moderator_ about his approval or discaring decision, or,
> (b) you receive a message about the moderator's approval or discaring decision (from the list software).
>
> What is the standard procedure? I did not find a setting for this.
>
> Using Mailman 2.1.23 on cPanel 60.0.28

It's misleading in English too.

> Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive
> notification of the moderator's decision.  If you would like to cancel
> this posting, please visit the following URL:

The implication in the held message notification is that the message
will be accepted or the user will receive notification, but there is
intentionally no mechanism within Mailman to automatically notify the
user of a discard action. If there were, it would be equivalent to reject.

In Mailman 2.1.23, you can follow the "Edit the public HTML pages and
text files" link in the web admin UI and from there, follow the "User
notice of held post" link and edit the message to be more clear.