[Mailman-Users] How to stop bounce messages globally?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 5 17:06:37 EST 2017

On 01/05/2017 01:40 PM, Caesar Samsi wrote:

> Lately I have found that spammers send using random reply-to’s to my mailman server.
>
> In response mailman sends a helpful “Your message awaits moderator approval”.
>
> However, it is NDR as the user in the reply to is not in the target bounced mail server.

That's the good scenario. The bad scenario is called backscatter and is
when the notice is deliverable to the innocent third party whose address
was spoofed as the sender.

> So … how can I globally stop bounces and moderator approval messages?

Set respond_to_post_requests to No on each list and set
DEFAULT_RESPOND_TO_POST_REQUESTS = No in mm_cfg.py so that new lists get
created with respond_to_post_requests = No.

Then Mailman won't send the “Your message awaits moderator approval”
notices.