[Mailman-Users] change links in mail footer to https

tlhackque tlhackque at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 12:42:36 EST 2017

On 09-Dec-17 14:06, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 12/09/2017 10:40 AM, Chip Davis wrote:
>> That's all well and good Mark, but surely you know that any fix that
>> involves issuing a shell command is useless for those of us responsible
>> for lists on a shared server running cPanel (or equivalent).
>
> The OP indicated that he had changed DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN. If he can do
> that, he can run fix_url.

That is not necessarily true.

On a cPanel-managed website that I support, the "File manager" provides
an editor, which allows any text file to be edited.  And you can set 'x'
permission.  But there is no shell access, and no straightforward way to
execute a file.  (If you're clever and sufficiently motivated, you can
setup a temporary cron job or modify some source file.)

I've had similar issues with people using wiki software; in that case,
the solution was to add a carefully-protected admin option to allow a
very privileged admin to run a shell command (e.g. system(...)).  As a
developer, I was not enthusiastic - but it seems that a significant
number of people are stuck with hosts that don't provide shell access.
Of course, my first reaction was "change hosting provider" - but there
were many "I can't" - though the reasons varied.

You might consider adding a super-user menu to allow users to run
withlist; fix_url; etc without shell access.  Or an admin privilege that
can be granted to selected list managers.  If not for MM2, for MM3.

If you don't want to support mailman in environments without shell
access, at a minimum, put a big warning in the install docs that
"administration and maintenance of a mailman site requires shell
access".  It shouldn't be a requirement that's discovered later.