[Mailman-Users] Shortening mailman sign-up page links

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 26 19:24:18 EDT 2017

On 04/26/2017 03:41 PM, Dean Suhr wrote:
> My Mailman list server is running on a linux server.
>
> I want to use a simplified URL to get to the list signup page. (I am afraid the underscore might be mistaken for a space in invitation emails when the email client automatically underlines links).
>
> I am not a htaccess wizard and have tried both file and domain level redirecting with no joy. I thought the ".org" in the live URL might be the problem but apparently it's not. Thanks in advance.
>
> Simplified URL: http://mldfamily.org/i-have-mld

This looks like cPanel where the list posting address is
i-have-mld at mldfamily.org, but the actual internal list name is
i-have-mld_mldfamily.org.

> These two don’t work:

They don't work because the match is against the URL-path, not against
the full URL. You want things like

or

or even

> RedirectMatch 301 /i-have-mld(.*) /mailman/listinfo/i-have-mld_mldfamily.org/$1

or

> Redirect 301 /i-have-mld /mailman/listinfo/i-have-mld_mldfamily.org

but I don't think you'd ever really want the first of either pair.