[Mailman-Users] How to slow down delivery rate

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 25 00:14:20 EDT 2017

On 4/24/17 8:30 PM, Rob Dover wrote:
> I run a couple of small lists and for some time have been getting bounces from my outgoing server saying I am exceeding the maximum # of emails per hour.

...>
> I have no control over the outgoing server and only minimal control over the Mailman installation. Its on a web host. The emails do eventually go through but I get notifications for every single one that is deferred.
>
> Is there any way I can slow down the delivery rate so it is below the 100 / hour threshold?

Only if you have the ability to patch Mailman. See
<https://wiki.list.org/x/4030607> for a discussion of this and a
throttle.patch.

Note that if this is the web host's Mailman and outgoing mail server,
this service is only viable for lists of fewer than 100 subscribers or
fewer than 50 if there can be 2 posts in an hour, or ...

You could try negotiating with them over this, or find a more list
friendly hosting service.