[Mailman-Users] Mm_cfg.py not setting attribute

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 23 22:20:06 EDT 2016

On 05/23/2016 05:24 PM, Beu, Ed (DOA) wrote:

> We currently have two instances of Mailman running for test purposes. The newlist command along with a customized mm_cfg.py file is producing different results on the two systems.
>
> Configurations are as follows on these two test systems.
>
> T1
> Solaris 10
> Mailman 2.1.20 (csw package)
>
> T2
> CentOS 6.7 (Final)
> Mailman 2.1.12 (yum package)
>
> On the T1 system I am adding the following statement to the mm_cfg.py file:
> DEFAULT_RESPOND_TO_POST_REQUESTS = No
>
> Then, when I run "./newlist -q listname my.email at domain.com<mailto:my.email at domain.com> 12345678" the list setting is as desired (respond_to_post_request = No).
>
> On the T2 system using the same scenario above, the "respond_to_post_request" attribute does not change from the Defaults.py setting of Yes.

It should if you spelled it correctly.

> On the T2 system I have tried changing the attribute from  DEFAULT_RESPOND_TO_POST_REQUESTS to just RESPOND_TO_POST_REQUESTS, changed No to Zero (0) and tried DEFAULT_RESPOND_TO_POST_REQUESTS = 0. A number of combinations, and none work on the CentOS machine.

No, no, 0 and False are all essentially equivalent in mm_cfg.py.

Changing the name is the same as commenting it or leaving it out. Every
setting that Mailman references is defined in Defaults.py. Anything you
set in mm_cfg.py that is not a setting mentioned in Defaults.py is ignored.

> Do you have any suggestions or recommendations? Our goal is to use the CentOS system for production, so getting this worked out will be very helpful.

Exactly what mm_cfg.py file are you editing on CentOS. I *think* the
CentOS package has an mm_cfg.py in /etc/mailman and there is a symlink
from /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py to /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py, but I
may be mistaken about that which is why you should see the FAQ article
at <https://wiki.list.org/x/12812344>.