[Mailman-Users] Error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 17 21:37:56 EDT 2016

On 05/17/2016 06:12 PM, rex at rexgoode.com wrote:

> When I hit send, I get:
>
> SMTP Error (550): Failed to add recipient "listname at mydomain.com" (5.1.1
> <listname at mydomain.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
> virtual mailbox table).
>
> This happens on all of my mailman lists. Substitute listname and
> mydomain.com appropriately, of course, but every list gets it.
>
> Any advice I can give to my hosting company?

This is an issue with the incoming MTA for mydomain.com. It does not
know how to deliver Mailman's mail. Typically with MTAs Sendmail and
Postfix, delivery is via aliases. There is info on configuring these and
also Exim and Qmail at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/mail-server.html>.

There is other info I could provide if I knew what the MTA is.

If they are actually willing to work on this, eliminate yourself from
the middle and refer them here. We will help as best as we can.